Monday, December 13, 2010

Testing for 3rd degree black belt

Finally, I've tested for my 3rd Dan (degree) this past week end.
In our Taekwondo school, a student needs to test two times for his or her 1st degree through 5th degree black belt. This was my 2nd testing. I'm glad it's over with.

If you ever wanted to learn a great martial art like Taekwondo with some of the devastating techniques they don't even teach in traditional TKD school, then check out this site:
It all went well. As usual, the packed room at the beginning looks almost empty by the time I do the more interesting parts of my testing i.e. self-defense demonstration, my form (Kae Baek), and free sparring with other black belts. People can leave after their test and, except for the board breaking, the higher belt goes last.

It's fun to practice martial arts. It keeps you in shape and help keep a little competitive spirit. By sparring with people 10 years younger than yourself, you feel younger too.
It's nice to see a lot of people start kaekwondo at our school. Most people never reach the black belt level, and more people quit after getting their first degree black belt. I was pleased to stay with it this long (almost 8 years) to get my 3rd degree. I practiced Judo for 10 years so I feel well rounded now.

Sure, I've practiced in Dojos, and TKD schools, but today, a person can learn how to defend himself (or herself) with step by step techniques.  If you're interested you can find out some of the techniques in this tutorial program:
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Leah said...

You did great Daddy! I was so honored to have witnessed such an experienced Martial Arts student advance once more to a greater level...and even more proud to be able to call him Dad :)

I love you Daddy! Keep up the GREAT work!

Love,
Lee Lee <3

Andre Coquerel said...

Ooooh Leah! Always so sweet. And thanks for taking the pictures.
I love you, little princess.