Monday, June 8, 2009

Primitive Camping

We went primitive camping this past week-end. It turned out to be a week-end of relaxation for us in nature with no one around.
I was feeling sick so I soaked in nature totally and just enjoyed myself. Sure, I was coughing the whole time, but that just kept the animals away! Except for the Chuck-Will's-Widow and the Whip-Poor-Wills who sang all night long. Every night, actually. It didn't bother us. We just smiled every time we would wake up and hear these birds. This is the woods!!!

This is our site: the bedroom is the red and white tent in the background, the bathroom is to the right, the canopy on the left serves as dining room/living room, the truck is usually part of our setting as additional table and storage, and all the area in the square is our living room/dining room/sitting area/observation post/camp site or whatever we want it to be.
This is our bathroom. Yes, you bring your own for primitive camping if you don't want to dig a trench. Debbie is checking out the shower before using it. A "portable solar shower" gave us warm water. Our "commode" is to the right. It worked real good with everything we brought to "control" odor. These "portable toilets" are designed pretty decent nowadays.
We figured out one thing; we'll trade the little inconvenience of not having "modern" bathrooms and hot shower of State Parks for the quiet and peace that you get in a primitive camping setting. Well, if you didn't want to bother reading my long sentence again, I simply meant that I rather bring my own bathroom and warm water than put up with noisy neighbors at State Parks.


A walk in the wood. I saw a SUMMER TANAGER there. A truly pretty red bird. He just sat on a branch and let me watch him until my hands starting getting tired of holding the binoculars. The next day, he came to pay us a short visit at the camp site so Debbie could meet him also.
When I get a better digital camera, I will start showing you all the pretty birds.
Yes, my friends, camp fire under a full moon. Did we have a good time? Trust me on this, we did! And I'm ready to go back, with my Beloved.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I love going camping with you. And yes, it is so peaceful and relaxing. It's a little more work but so worth it. Great post!

Anonymous said...

I want to go camping too.Campfire in the moonlight -summer tanager and whipoorwills and chuckwill's widow and all the forest beings.I am filled with envy.A garden in town and beautiful woodland place and all that wonderful soul fulfilling peace.Love you guys-elvin

Anonymous said...

Yay Dad! It sounds wonderful! I can't wait to join you guys on one of your primitive camping trips. Did it rain this time? You didn't mention that, so I guess not. Yay! You guys have really gotten the hang of this. How nice to be able to enjoy nature this way.
Love,
Kelly