Monday, May 17, 2010

King Snake in the trail!

Just came back from a quick walk at the Mound.  I don't like to go to the Mound in the middle of the day because most of the self respecting birds are taking their siesta.  But I couldn't resist when I was just around the corner in the Fort Hill area checking on a property.

Not too many birds today but, wow, the King Snake!  Long, pretty, unafraid. A man walked right beside him and I was impressed by how unafraid he was.  I found out later he didn't see the snake. I asked him. I had to wait till the snake got out of the path.  He looks like the snake I've touch once before.  I was just not in the mood today. He was facing me this time with his head up. Maybe he was giving his name and I didn't even realize. Shoot.

Have I said once before that no two birdwatching outings are ever the same? Guess what I saw this time? The Pileated Woodpecker at the lower end of a tree in the Loop area.  He then came down on the ground!!! A Pileated on the ground, then up the tree, low.  Never seen that before.  And that's not all.
A Mississippi Kite was flying over the water with a small snake in his bill.  The snake was still alive, wingling.  I forgot Mississippi Kites eat snakes too.  Maybe I didn't know until I just saw it.

On my way back, there was that King Snake again!!!  In the path, like if he owned it.  And he was not getting out of the way this time.  I had to do what "Larry" did earlier.  Walk right beside him.  At least I said Hi! and told him my name.  Till we meet again.  Better to be friends with these snakes.

I have more to write but I better go back to work! 

No comments: